Wednesday, September 8, 2010

For you I wish...

Photo from SarahJaneStudios @ Etsy.com


Dear Oliver,

As I'm closing in on finally meeting the little person growing inside of me, I decided I would record some of my recent thoughts. I've been thinking about how a mother goes about instilling the best in her children, especially when the mother isn't perfect herself. These are the things that keep me up at night.

I promise to teach you the best life lessons I know. I will teach you the importance of service, strength of character, self-discipline, abiding compassion, deep faith, intentional action, personal responsibility, purity, beauty of spirit and love. I want you to learn that things, titles, numbers and social status are irrelevant. What truly matters is that when you leave this world, you must have made a difference. I want you to be kind to those you meet, always offering a smile.

I will give you a beautiful home filled with things money could never buy. A foundation of security enclosed in walls of acceptance for who you were created to be. A place that fosters creativity, imagination and growth. A place where I will take time to turn off the T.V./shut down the computer to spend time laughing and creating memories with you. We will sing silly songs (off key of course), dance because we feel like it, plan great adventures and take amazing journeys (even if it means never leaving our living room).

I promise to do my best at being patient, understanding, kind, respectful and firm. I will guide you to the best of my ability, always providing an ear to listen, a soft place to fall and a place to get up and try again.

Most importantly, I will love you no matter what.

Counting down the days until we meet,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment