Friday, July 30, 2010

Kick, Flutter, Bang, Poke, Flutter, Kick...SWOON!

Dear Oliver,

I never thought I would love being pregnant. I sort of always considered it would be a necessary evil required of me to get what I ultimately desired, you. Perhaps its all the horror stories people love to share with you about their own pregnancies or all the details I read in the umpteen pregnancy books before ever peeing on a stick.

What I've learned is, I was wrong. Maybe that's because I haven't found this pregnancy to be particularly painful or complicated. I love being pregnant and pregnancy is nothing short of miraculous. Every week this journey seems better than the last. This week I can actually see you kicking from the outside. It's amazing to look down and see my basketball sized belly moving in sync with your daily soccer drills. I often find myself smiling when I feel you hiccuping from within.

I can't wrap my head around the fact that this pregnancy is more than halfway over. Wasn't it only yesterday I woke up early to pee on not one but two sticks? While I am eager to meet you, I'm also a little sad that I will soon be sharing you with the world and no longer able to keep you snuggled safely all to myself.

The finish line to taste the sweet and painful victory of birth is drawing near. Until then I will savor all of our time together, just the two of us.

Love, Mom.


1 comment: